Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 7-8, 2011

The seventh was a normal day. But today, the eighth was completely different. Instead of Fat Tuesday here they call it pancake Tuesday where you're supposed to only eat pancakes all day. Since our school doesn't sell food hardly anyone here had pancakes for lunch because they would  get too soggy by lunch time. We did eat pancakes for breakfast though. I found out, while we were eating, that here they don't just put syrup on and cut and enjoy, here they put toppings on like nutella or jam or sugar then they roll it up and then cut and enjoy. So I was getting funny faces throughout my first pancake and then they told me I eat it weird so then I observed while they explained it to me. Also the pancakes are much thinner and more crepeey than most of ours back home.
Ms. Toomey told me to eat at this chipper in Dublin city centre across the street from Christ Church Cathedral called Leo&Burdock's. They sell fish 'n' chips and many other items alike. I have been waiting to go there since I arrived in Dublin so finally today Ellie and I hopped on a Dart to Tara Street station and walked down to the chipper. I ordered fresh cod fish 'n' chips and Ellie just got chips. One of their portions could feed about three people. We ordered our food and then walked up Grafton Street where we ate, walked, and talked.
I had plenty of chocolate today to last me these forty days of Lent. I am going to make my list and follow it better than I followed it last year. Today Ellie got another dog, his name is Rua a ten month old Golden Retriever. To me his coat looks too white, his head looks too broad, and his eyes seem too round to be a Golden Retriever.
Tomorrow we have Wednesday outings again and I am excited.

1 comment:

  1. I found out about your trip via the Connelly Current. I went to Killiney in 1988 and had the best time ever. I will get the feed to your blog and follow your adventures. Since you seem open to restaurant suggestions, try out The Bad Ass cafe - http://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-bad-ass-cafe-dublin. It's great and has a funky ordering system. Also, would you eat a slice of Brennan's bread for me? It was the softest, most wonderful bread I had ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete